Monday 15 August 2011

Cesc Fabregas will ‘regret never lifting trophy’ for Arsenal



CESC FABREGAS admits the biggest regret of his career will always be never lifting a trophy as Arsenal captain.

The midfielder was welcomed by 30,000 Barcelona fans at the Nou Camp yesterday after he passed a medical and completed his £40million move.
Fab's signature on the five-year deal brought a close to one of the longest-running transfer sagas of recent seasons as Barca finally got their man after a three-year chase.

And for the World Cup winner it completed a dream move back to his boyhood club.


Fabregas was just 16 when he left Barca's academy to join Arsene Wenger's side in 2003.

In an emotional Press conference at the Nou Camp, he admitted: "The biggest regret I will have in my career is I did not lift a trophy as Arsenal captain.

"More than just not winning trophies and medals, it was the routine fact of doing the same things over and again, trying to win and then always finding, one way or another, that we just didn't have enough to get over the finishing line.

"We just didn't seem to have what it took in the final sprint for a trophy. But Arsenal are a great club and they will push on without me just like they did when Patrick Vieira and Thierry Henry left.

"The club is always bigger than the player and I am sure they will be strong again."

Barca have paid £29m with add-ons of £6m and £5m in the future to take the total for the 24-year-old Spaniard to £40m.

Fabregas admitted it was never a question of money after spending many, long painful hours talking over a move with Emirates boss Wenger.

Fab added: "I have a special relationship with Wenger. We have talked for hours and hours about this move.

"He did not want me to leave for £80m but, in the end, I think my own will convinced him. I am grateful that he respected the wishes of his player.

"Wenger is a special person. He will always be like a second father to me.

"I will never have enough words to describe what he has done for me. I will always have him in my head and my heart.


"People who ask about why I renewed my contract with Arsenal for so long need to know I renewed four years ago when I was only 20. Pep Guardiola was not in charge at Barca then and there was no 'sign of life' in terms of what Barca thought about me. I was still just a kid."

Fabregas insisted he had been unable to tell Arsenal fans what was happening and claimed the Londoners had effectively gagged him.

He said: "I'm sorry I could not speak to them and I'm sad about leaving as I spent one third of my life there.

"It was a sad moment for me but life goes on. It was very emotional saying goodbye to my team-mates and particularly when I said farewell to Arsene.

"Jack Wilshere and Aaron Ramsey are great players and one day Jack will be England captain.

"I wish them well, especially in qualifying for the Champions League against Udinese and I thank the fans and club for the last few years.

"And I also want to thank Pep Guardiola for the effort he made and the confidence he gave me.

"I wasn't ready two or three years ago but I'm prepared now.

"But I knew I wanted to be with the best in the world. I've waited a long time for this but it was worth it. It's a special day, one of the best of my life."

Fabregas, who will continue to wear the No 4 shirt, is available for tomorrow's Spanish Super Cup second leg against arch-rivals Real Madrid. Sunday's first leg ended 2-2.

He said: "It all depends on the coach but I am prepared to fight for everything.

"I'm ready for a more secondary role if I have to fight for my place. I have chosen the biggest possible challenge to get into this team with such great players - but that's part of the attraction."

No comments:

Post a Comment